Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rain

Late in 2010, I started a story called 'Rain'. This was begun in my troubled time after leaving wm, it took months to get over the stress and pain. In some ways, I have not to this day, nearly 2 years later. I was in wm 1073 today and fuck all, if I did not get a panic attack. How can I live this way? I write to take my mind off it.

'Rain' is about a Vehmba female named Rain. She is 18 years old, average sized, pretty for a Vehmba.

Infodump here: Vehmbas are little creatures, average 3.5 feet tall, who are anthro. They have excellent proportions, a long and flexible tail, and their 'hair' is actually a cooling structure. They look like dreadlocks but are not hair like we know it and are one big strand. It looks like hair. Feels warm and soft to the touch. Vehmba eyes are solid, no discernable iris or pupil. Some glow, some are dull colored. They can be yellow, green, or in rare cases, black. Vehmbas have bluish skin, powdery blue, with subtle linear striping, which is an individual trait used to identify each other. The stripes are pale, looking like airbrushing and usually give the Vehmba an exotic look. Some Vehmbas are darker blue, some are lighter. It is an environmental thing. Vehmbas have feet like a monkey's, opposable big toe. They are slightly bigger than a human foot would be at that body size.

There is little sexual dimorphism between male and female Vehmbas. It can be hard to tell them apart for one unfamiliar with them. They are a neoteny species.

Rain is a bit darker than average, her stripes are demure, reddish-yellow, hard to tell on her skin. Her eyes are greenish-yellow. She is the daughter of Me'ess Mela. A me'ess is a village chief, though more like a 'mother' of a tribe. Mela called her Rain because she had Rain outside in the rain, taking that as a sign of purity.

Rain is a hunter and forest scout. She carries a bow, poison arrows and a knife. Also, she has a modern comm device, and, after events in the story, an AI companion.

Rain's village was exterminated by a military action using nanotechnology as a weapon. The village was on a special world.

Rain has a strong belief in the Great Circle of Life. To her, all things are part of the circle and threats to it must be eliminated. She has no compunction against killing when it is in defense of the circle.

Rain is unusual among Vehmbas who have been in other stories. She is a native of a planetary forest. Most Vehmbas live in the mid-bay forest of giant spacecraft. The outside galaxy thinks they are little better than ignorant savages. It is a fallacy Vehmbas cultivate. They are highly technological. Rain is not from a village known for techy things.

Rain's story isn't over. I never finished it. Sometimes, when troubles overcome me, I have to suspend stories and usually can't find the flow to resume them. This story is different. It is actually a sequel to another story told from the military's point of view, called 'Undesirable Creatures'. That one was finished.

I will put Rain through some adventure and a costly encounter. Her story will be a legend among Vehmbas for generations.

I will post 'Rain' on my angelfire site when it is done.

I wrote a whole post yesterday and it was lost before I could post it. I will rewrite it because it might surprise you that I could write about such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment