Monday, July 22, 2013

Bird Girl?

Don't ask me how but in looking at things to inspire story ideas, I happened across an article about Koo Koo the Bird Girl.

I don't want to post a picture of her. I talk about feminine beauty and Koo Koo did not have it.

Apparently, she was featured in an old movie called 'Freaks'. I have never seen this, barely have ever heard of it.

A long time ago, my dad said my grandfather took a dim view of freak shows and never allowed him to go. I don't remember my dad ever taking me to one. Not that such things are all that.

Back in the old days, people seemed to take advantage of others' misfortunes. You can see this in freak shows, what happened in Europe back then, nuclear testing in the American West.

If Koo Koo, real name Minnie, had some gnarly congenital deformity, it should have been treated with sensitivity, not a subject of scorn and profit.

Oh, what do I know? That all happened way before I was born.

I can do way worse things in stories and make a real bird girl. I don't portray freak shows but the beauty of speculative fiction is that one can do that.

I still would not go to a freak show. The idea actually bothers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment