Saturday, August 10, 2013

Dog Star Days

You can go out in the morning, assuming you can see the stars from where you are and you are near the 30 degrees north latitude, and see something that inspired the Ancient Egyptians.

Well, yes, near this something is Orion, splayed across the southern sky like a dominate shadow.

I am talking about Sirius, the Dog Star. It is the brightest star in our sky other than El Sol. Indeed, all of Canis Major is visible as it rises above the light pollution that makes the eastern horizon glow at night.

These are Winter stars, Auriga, Cassiopeia, Andromeda, etc... all visible at this time. The season is changing though it hasn't appeared to do so on the ground where it is roasty hot.

This is best scene at about 5 am. Are you awake at 5 am? I am, I am an overnight person. Nothing like the familiarness of these beloved stars.

I am okay, though I have increased male pain. I cannot see the doctor until September, when I can afford it.

No comments:

Post a Comment