Friday, April 17, 2009

Morning Storm

It has been a long time since a big storm has hit the rural wasteland. Common here in storms are power failures, things getting blown around, and of course, bone soaking rain that comes down like a bucket being poured.

I was asleep until my radio broadcasted an emergency message from Channel 9 out of Waco.

I don't like storms. I have bad memories of them, huddling scared in the dark as the power went out and the very atmosphere rages outside.

I am not a fraidy cat. Do you remember the Jarrell Tornado? I saw it go by live on tv long before it hit Jarrell. I knew a girl from there who gave a graphic account of the death of a friend, who was wrapped around a tree like an overstretched doll. That girl was a fellow anthropology interested person like me.

It is sad, my gf, Jen, loves thunder and lightning. It gives her an orgasmic thrill. How strange is that? Every year, peope lose their homes and very lives in storms. Can't help from thinking of the dead people floating in the water in New Orleans in the days after Katrina.

During Katrina, the rural wasteland enjoyed beautiful weather as the monster hurricane had sucked all the moisture out of our local air. You always want to be on the west side of a low pressure system, or its most extreme form, a hurricane.

I do not know what this storm has done. Hopefully, it saved its worst for the cesspit. I will find out shortly on my daily joruney there.

Like Arthelius says: "We are at the mercy of elemental forces."

You think?

No comments:

Post a Comment